I highly recommend this soup! The ginger and lime in here take over and I didn’t even notice a fishy flavor. Maybe it was just unfishy fish. Whatever it was I liked it. I ate all the left overs too so don’t go looking for them.
The recipe was inspired and quite adapted from this Thai styled chicken soup recipe from this soup book that I can’t remember the name of but looked like that. Google is being no help right now sorry.
So here’s how it started, a few edamame, garlic and ginger just sitting there and next thing you know, we had soup!
Mince garlic and half of the green onions, sautéed In coconut oil.
add coconut milk to broth, saving some to add to soup at the end.
add sautéed garlic and onion tops
and fish sauce
In same pan lightly sauté fish pieces, to capture all the garlic flavor
add fish to broth
and lime zest
Finely mince fresh ginger and add to soup.
and add seeded red pepper.
bring to boil, then simmer.
simmer about 10 minutes.
add a bit more coconut milk, edamame, and remaining green onion Then serve.
Thai-style Fish Soup
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small red jalapeno (or other hot red pepper),seeded and chopped
- 1 lime, zested, (and then juiced and reserved for another purpose)
- 1-2 green onion tops, finely sliced, divided
- 1 quart chicken or fish stock
- 3/4 pound cod fish, cut into small pieces
- 1 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, finely diced
- 1-2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 can coconut milk, (not lite is better), divided
- 2/3 cup edamame, cooked and shelled
- small bunch of cilantro, snipped (optional)
Mince the garlic, and sauté in coconut oil until soft and translucent; add half the green onions
Warm the broth, then add the coconut milk; add sautéed garlic and onion and fish sauce. and simmer gently Lightly sauté the fish pieces in the pan the garlic was sautéed in; add fish to stock; add 1 Tablespoon lime zest, minced fresh ginger and red pepper; Bring just to a boil, then lower to a simmer for about 10 minutes; add edamame;
Serve with more green onions, add a bit more coconut milk and cilantro, if desired