Gluten Free Vegan Ginger Cookies

by - 9:48 AM

ginger vegan cookies-8235

 

These ginger cookies are so good! Vegan, gluten free what ever, they taste good. They are going on my I-will-make-again list and I’m making  them again soon.

I found this recipe on foodgawker and had to try it. After I’d printed it out I noticed it used flax meal instead of an egg. I had my doubts. I was pretty sure I wouldn’t like them but I decided to make them anyway. I’m glad I did.

 

ginger vegan cookies-8135

 

I have never used flax meal as an egg substitute before.

 

ginger vegan cookies-8138

 

I was a little scared. I mean really, this will not grow up to be a chicken, so how is this supposed to work?

 

ginger vegan cookies-8139

But I poured the warm water on the flax meal anyway. I have to stop worrying about the chickens.

 

ginger vegan cookies-8140

 

And left it to sit for 5 minutes. It kind of seemed like hocus-pocus to me.

 

ginger vegan cookies-8141

 

I like ginger a lot and got a little carried away chopping fresh ginger. But um, why did the flax meal cross the –oh never mind.

 

ginger vegan cookies-8143

 

The recipe actually only called for 2 teaspoons. I think I got it and then some. Then I chopped up some candied ginger.

 

ginger vegan cookies-8147

 

Meanwhile, back to the bowl with the flax meal and water the 5 minutes must have been up.  I added the oil,

 

ginger vegan cookies-8149

 

sugar,

 

ginger vegan cookies-8152

 

and molasses.

 

ginger vegan cookies-8153

 

and mixed it all together.

 

ginger vegan cookies-8154

 

Then added flour,

 

ginger vegan cookies-8155

 

xanthan gum, just one small tablespoon,

 

 

ginger vegan cookies-8157

 

cinnamon, ginger powder, cloves, backing powder and baking soda.

 

ginger vegan cookies-8158

 

I started mixing. It seemed really dry. But I was optimistic that it would come together and be cookie dough in a minute.

 

ginger vegan cookies-8159

 

I soon lost my optimism. It looked like I was making pie crust or something. 

 

ginger vegan cookies-8161

 

So I added some more molasses.

ginger vegan cookies-8162

 

And that did the trick.

 

ginger vegan cookies-8163

 

Then I worked the ginger in.

 

ginger vegan cookies-8164

 

Yay, I have cookie dough! I put it in the fridge to chill for a few minutes.

 

ginger vegan cookies-8218

 

Next I got out the turbinado sugar

 

ginger vegan cookies-8219

 

and rolled misshapen cookies in it.

 

ginger vegan cookies-8225

 

Baked them at 350 for about 10 minutes.

 

ginger vegan cookies-8240

 

Then I ate two because the first one was so good but it just might’ve been a fluke.

The second one was too.  So it’s official, they’re all right.

 

 

 

Gluten Free Vegan Ginger Cookies

adapted from Veganricha

Ingredients:

•1 Tablespoon flax-meal
•2 Tablespoons warm water
•1/4 cup oil
•1/4 cup sugar
•1/4 cup Molasses or more if the dough really looks like a pile of crumbs

•1.5 cups gluten free flour
•1 teaspoon baking powder
•1/4 teaspoon baking soda
•1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
•1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
•1/4 teaspoon cloves powder
•1/4 teaspoons grated ginger
•1/4-1/3 cup candied ginger chopped
•Turbinado sugar for coating

In a bowl, mix flaxmeal with 2 Tablespoons of water and let sit for 5 minutes.
Stir in the oil, molasses and sugar until combined.
Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and all spices. And combine. add a little molasses if the dough is just looking like a pile of crumbs.
Add grated and candied ginger and mix.
Chill the dough for 15 minutes.
Shape into flat disks. Press the disks into sugar and place on baking sheet.
Bake in pre-heated 350 degrees F for 10-13 minutes.
The cookies will be slightly soft in the center to touch.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Find me on

Facebook Taste spotting